“Morgante” interweaves the personal stories of individuals linked by a common denominator: being dwarfs. “Morgante”, ironically nicknamed the Giant in the poem of the same name by Louis Pulci, was the most famous of the five dwarfs at the court of the Medicis in Florence. According to the codes of the time, the dwarf Morgante was portrayed as a “monstrum”.
Thus dehumanized and stripped of his personality, he appears in paintings of Bronzino and sculptures of Giambologna. Progressively he becomes an idea, an archetype, and a looking glass through which “the human family” will regard diversity for centuries to come. Using the literary and artistic inspiration photographer Nicola Lo Calzo has created “Morgante”, a moving gallery of portraits depicting the universe of little people, a highly marginalized category in some African countries. Often associated with witchcraft, people with dwarfism live in a semi-clandestine state, subjected daily to all kinds of psychological violence.
Lo Calzo photographed his models in private situations, at home, at work or in the street. In Lo Calzo’s photographs, Fidel, Kwedi, Babel are not victims of their size. On the contrary, they are the primary agents of their lives, protagonists of the scene represented.
In these terms, the photographer questions the conventional representation of diversity, self-esteem and self-acceptance: his models gaze directly into the camera as if intentionally searching the eyes of their viewers. They fully assume the role of actors and directors of their own lives. In some African societes still deeply polarized around the concept of normal and abnormal, good and evil, tradition and modernity, “Morgante” is an invitation to break this archetype of “monster” and come to full recognition of diversity.
- The portrait of the dwarf Morgante / Agnolo di Cosimo (aka Bronzino) / Firenze, 1553
- Lyne’s Family house / Bafoussam / 2010
- Prosper with his brother / 28 years old / Bafoussam
- Prosper’s house / Bafoussam / 2010
- Lyne in her bedroom / Bafoussam / 2010
- Lyne child / Family’s pictures / Bafoussam / 2010
- Babel / Rap dancer / 28 years old / Yaounde
- paul claver with his brother / 40 years old / Kribi / 2010
- Lyne pharmacist / 35 years old / Bafoussam / 2010
- yoyo dancer / 26 years old / Douala / 2010
- Serge Dealer / 30 years old / Bafoussam / 2010
- Rayssa, Nelly and Lyne / Birthday party / Bafoussam / 2010
- Kwedi Actor / 28 years old / Douala / 2010
- Nelly with his cousin Arnold / 16 years old / Bafoussam / 2010
- Rayssa student / 12 years old / Bafoussam / 2010
- Gisele with her family / 28 years old / Bafoussam / 2010
- Genevieve hairdresser / 26 years old / DOUALA / 2010
- paul with his father / 28 years old / Bafoussam / 2010
- FIDEL ACTOR / 28 years old / DOUALA / 2010